12.08.2003

This story, from The Ottawa Citizen, really annoys me. "Canadian flag causes flap in the U.S.:
Maple Leaf on baggage irks 'sensitive' Americans


"Canadians should be careful not to appear "boastful" to Americans, who are insecure because of the war in Iraq and admit they are annoyed by northerners showing off the red maple leaf on their luggage when they travel, a recent federal report warns ....

"Some participants expressed a certain amount of annoyance at what is perceived as a systematic attempt by Canadians to make the statement that they are not Americans by sporting the maple leaf," said the recently released report. "This underscores the American sensitivity at feeling rejected by the rest of the world ...." ....

For instance, an American from San Diego is quoted saying: "What bugs me about Canadians, if I may, is that they wear that damn patch on their bags, the Canadian flag patch. That way, they differentiate themselves from us."


If I wear a patch on my backpack, it isn't some American protest. It is because I'm proud of being Canadian. When will certain Americans understand that it isn't all about them? To assume that my Canadian flag has something to do with my feelings towards America and to take affront to it is ridiculous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home